Wednesday 2 June 2010

Huzzah!

Let's go to a happy place for a moment and congratulate the Tymes Trust! (I'm raising a glass of healthy smoothie to them right now.)

The Young ME Sufferers Trust (Tymes Trust) has won the The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service, the 'MBE for volunteer groups'.

It's often, mistakenly, asserted that ME does not occur in children. In fact, it is the most common cause of prolonged school absence. Great to see Tymes Trust recognised for the work they do with children and young adults with ME.

The best way to describe what they they are up against and what they do is to let Shannen Dabson, their Young Advocate do it in her own words.

I hope one day we will live in a society where no teenager has to say, as Shannen does: "I’m used to pain. I’m used to rejection. I expect nothing from the professionals." If we get there, it will be thanks to the efforts of people like Tymes Trust. Good show, chaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment