Friday 19 March 2010

Spoooooooooooooons!

Christine Miserandino's delightful and wickedly accurate Spoon Theory has been reposted over at ButYouDontLookSick.

Absolutely the best way I've ever seen of describing simply what it's like to live with conditions like lupus, ME, et al. Well worth reading the whole of, but I think for me the following paragraph is the most crucial one:

"Most people start the day with unlimited amount of possibilities, and energy to do whatever they desire, especially young people. For the most part, they do not need to worry about the effects of their actions. So for my explanation, I used spoons to convey this point. I wanted something for her to actually hold, for me to then take away, since most people who get sick feel a “loss” of a life they once knew. If I was in control of taking away the spoons, then she would know what it feels like to have someone or something else, in this case Lupus, being in control."

No comments:

Post a Comment