Friday 5 February 2010

Repeat after me: I am living in the Now...


An M.E. sufferer named Leanne posted her story on the Action for M.E. facebook site today. In the last paragraph, she says:

" I used to want to get back to the person I was before I became ill, but I have let that go now. I want to explore who I am now."

That is where I too, finally, am. I don't have my old life, and I don't want to spend all my present life pining for it or making myself ill trying to have it back. I refuse to consider this a 'defeat'. My 'now' life is pretty damn good, and I'm certainly not done exploring!

One of the challenges I have run into the last few years is - how do you adjust to small goals, feel proud of small achievements, without becoming, well, small? And how do you do it without at the same time writing small problems and bad things up large too, leading to endless tempests in teacups?

Balance, says my good angel. A good scenery-chewing over trifles never hurt anyone, says my bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment